DTH vs subscribing to apps like Hotstar, Sony Liv etc

Couple of months back I renewed by Tata Sky annual subscription by paying 9K+ and immediately after that, I was thinking deeply did I do right by renewing the subscription or instead should I have subscribed to few apps like Hotstar, Sony Liv etc. Now after the latest saga of Tata Sky vs Sony as explained in my previous blog, I think this movement will sooner than later.

My Setup is,
TV - LG OLED 55 inch LG B6 (2016 model)
Sound - Denon Amp, Polk speakers 5.1 Setup
Android TV - Xiaomi Mi TV box
Internet - Act Fibernet 150 Mbps, 800 GB limit

With this setup, Internet speed and data limit is not a concern for me. I already hold Netflix, Amazon prime, ALT Balaji subscriptions and mostly watch movies, web series online. Only mostly Live sports and news I have been watching on Tata Sky.  I feel even If subscribe annually for Hotstar (999/year + Sony Liv 499/year, Zee5 499/year). This covers most of the leading entertainment, news, sports channels and works out lot cheaper than a DTH subscription. I understand in countries like US already people have moved from DTH, Cable and primarily using the Apps. In India too with the high speed internet and increased data limit, by next year few our us will definitely move away from these DTH and use these Apps which will save the cost as well and improve the quality of content we watch.

Other thing to watch out also will be Jio GigaFiber- if and when this hits the market across India - I think this will gradually kill the DTH market.


SHARE THIS

Author:

Etiam at libero iaculis, mollis justo non, blandit augue. Vestibulum sit amet sodales est, a lacinia ex. Suspendisse vel enim sagittis, volutpat sem eget, condimentum sem.

0 Comments: